Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Orange-Glazed Tempeh from "Color Me Vegan"

I'm always excited when a new vegan cookbook shows up at the library.  This time it was Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Color Me Vegan.  I wasn't sure, at first, how well I liked the set-up of the book. It's basically like eight mini-cookbooks in one because each chapter features a color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue/purple, white/tan, black/brown and rainbow) and each chapter features starters, sides, soups, main dishes, desserts, and beverages made of foods with that color.  So, if I was in the mood for a dessert, I'd have to look through each separate color section vs. just one dessert section as in most cookbooks.  However, once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too annoying and I do like the idea of breaking the foods down into colors because it really made me see what colors I tend to eat and which ones I rarely eat.

I had some tempeh languishing in the fridge, so decided to make the Orange-Glazed Tempeh recipe.  The glaze is really yummy, with the orange juice and maple syrup giving it a nice tangy-sweetness and the soy sauce and rice vinegar giving it a bit of Asian flare.  Though I was initially suspicious of serving it over cooked kale, as the recipe suggested, I tried it and it was quite tasty!  I also have to give a shout-out to the Lightlife brand of tempeh as it includes not just the soybeans but also some rice so it's not quite as strong in flavor and also doesn't pack quite as much soy punch in one serving (I try not to eat too much soy).

Here's the result.  Yum! :-)  Happy to share it for the Weekly Vegan Cooking Challenge over at my friend Lee's Vegaloca blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment