Last week, I discovered the charming No Meat Athlete blog and quickly set to perusing the recipes. Exhausted from very busy days at work, I decided not to tackle anything too elaborate; the Black Bean Tempeh Stir Fry looked easy enough yet also something different from our usual dishes so I gave it a try.
Yum! My husband and I both loved this dish. (And it turned out to be rather photogenic, too--yay!) I'm a huge fan of kale but haven't incorporated it into any dishes (I always eat it as a by-itself side) and I thought it went really well in this dish. I found a tasty brand of tempeh that includes wild rice with the soybeans and that made a much more delicate flavor that soaked in the flavors of the black bean sauce nicely. I did not attempt to make my own black bean sauce (though I might try it in the future since I really try not to buy store-bought anymore) and used the Lee Kum Kee brand which was quite tasty. I did not use the red bell pepper, and instead of sugar snap peas I used regular sweet peas from the freezer and it still tasted delicious. Also, I used regular vegetable oil since we didn't have peanut oil. I'm sure using all the ingredients would make the dish even better but we loved our modified version.
This will definitely be one of my go-to recipes in the future and I'm delighted to include it for this week's edition of the Vegaloca Weekly Vegan Cooking Challenge.
*test post*
ReplyDelete