Happy Easter! I was so happy to find a vegan Easter treat and even more delighted when it turned out beautifully. Even my dad (usually very picky and wary of anything "unusual" on his plate) thought the Babka (Easter Bread recipe of Polish origin) was tasty. I actually think "cake" is a more suitable term than "bread" because it is very sweet and cake-like in consistency. I even cut the sugar in the cake by about half and it was still quite sweet (especially with the frosting). Definitely delicious for a holiday treat, but if I were to make it on a more frequent basis I would cut the sugar even more. I did not include the raisins or lemon rind in the recipe but I loved the flavor with the almond extract (I used almond milk rather than soy milk, which also probably helped) and the lemony flavor in the icing. For the egg substitute, I used the oil-water-baking powder mix (if you click to the "Egg Replacer" link on the recipe, it takes you to a variety of options). In any case, this is certainly a recipe worthy of inclusion in the Vegaloca Weekly Vegan Cooking Challenge.
Mmmmmmmm CAKE!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing that even with cutting the sugar in half it was still sweet enough?
Looks and sounds delicious. I love almond & lemon flavors.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's amazing, Lee! I am very happy how my taste buds have adjusted to needing so little "sweetness" now.
ReplyDeleteThis was SO tasty - thank you for sharing it :) And yes, I thought it was delightfully sweet :)
ReplyDelete