Friday, February 4, 2011

Peaceful Palate's Pasta with Peanut Sauce

To satisfy my hankering for Thai food (without the time or expense of eating out!), I eagerly tried the Pasta with Peanut Sauce from the Peaceful Palate cookbook.   It was perfect for a mid-week dinner as it's quick to prepare and, depending on the number of people you're serving, leaves enough left-overs for a sack lunch the next day.

I found the recipe online at the Vegan Peace website (never heard of the website before but they do seem to have a lot of vegan recipes--along with other "activist" links that I have not browsed so can't comment) and they say they have permission from Jennifer Raymond to reprint her recipe so I will provide a link to their site:
http://www.veganpeace.com/recipe_pages/recipes/PastaWithPeanutSauce.htm 

I really enjoyed this recipe!  It's tasty and filling and exotic without costing you a fortune in herbs and sauces at the Asian specialty stores.  I cut the sugar way down, to about one teaspoon, but it was still sweet enough for me.   I used the red pepper flakes and it gave a little kick without being too spicy.

The recipe says to "serve immediately" and I agree that it is best when hot.  While it did make a nice lunch at work the next day, I ate it cold (as you sometimes see chilled Asian pastas in the deli section) and, while still tasty, it definitely had a stronger peanut-butter flavor and it was harder to taste the other elements.  All in all, a worthy entry for this week's Vegaloca Weekly Vegan Cooking Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, Kathryn! I actually just recently bought some Trader Joe's organic no salt added creamy peanut sauce with the intent of making spicy peanut sauce.

    From Jennifer's recipe (since I don't like vinegar) I'd probably leave out the vinegar and add lime juice, but otherwise this looks wonderful, as does your photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :-) I am having so much fun with this cookbook and thank you for recommending it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a keeper. Oldie but goodie cookbook.

    ReplyDelete