Friday, January 7, 2011

Black Bean Chili

On this chilly, foggy evening I was eager for something hearty, comforting and warm and found just the recipe in my wonderful new Peaceful Palate cookbook:  Black Bean Chili

I made this pretty much as the recipe specified, except I didn't have fresh cilantro (and refuse to use dried cilantro--it tastes awful to me!) and I skipped the green onions on this serving in favor of some sliced avocado (which was delicious but the photo made it look like some slimy green blobs were taking over the dish, hence the photo sans avocado).  I thought the avocado added a wonderful flavor and nice creamy texture to the chili.  I also added a bit of crushed red pepper flakes to give it a little more kick.

All in all, a dish that is very easy to prepare (you just have to remember to soak the beans the night before), hearty and delicious.  I'm looking forward to more recipes from Peaceful Palate as I continue the Vegaloca Weekly Vegan Cooking Challenge!

3 comments:

  1. Kathryn, yum! I'm always on the hunt for a new chili recipe. I have this book too so I'll have to check it out. I"m glad to see you enjoying your Christmas bounty. xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lee! I haven't made too many chili recipes so don't have a huge basis of comparison, but this one is definitely tasty enough I'll make it again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, I'm so glad you're using The Peaceful Palate. I have some cilantro in my apartment; I wish we could send each other stuff over the internet! I love black beans more than just anything, and avocado almost always goes perfectly with them.

    ReplyDelete