Tonight we enjoyed Spicy Lemon Pepper Pasta with Broccoli, courtesy of the "VeganYumYum" app my husband so kindly downloaded for me. We both enjoyed it, especially for a light summer pasta dish, so decided it would be a great entry for the Vegan Cooking Challenge on Vegaloca.
RECIPE:
Dried Fettucini, enough for one
2 tsp Olive Oil (to start)
1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli flourets
1/4 cup sliced sundried tomatoes (oil packed)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
1-2 pinches of salt
black pepper, to taste
lemon zest for garnish (optional)
While the pasta is cooking in well-salted water, chop the broccoli flourets into small pieces (about the size of a nickel). Slice the sundried tomatoes. When the pasta is nearly finished cooking, heat a wok over medium heat until it's quite hot. Add oil and broccoli and toss to coat, adding more oil a little at a time, if needed. After 1-2 minutes, add tomatoes and pepper flakes.
Let cooked undisturbed for another two minutes, then toss. Repeat this process until the broccoli and tomatoes have some color on them, and the broccoli is bright green and becoming tender. Drain pasta very well and add to the wok, adding just enough oil to coat the pasta (if needed). Add lemon juice and salt and taste, adjusting if necessary. Plate and add fresh black pepper over the top, adding lemon zest if desired. Serve immediately.
The trick to this dish is balancing the salt, lemon juice and oil. You want enough oil to distribute the flavors over the pasta but not so much that it's greasy. There shouldn't be any oil pooling in the bottom of the pan or on your plate--you want just enough to coat the pasta and no more.
The salt and lemon juice should even each other out; you should taste both without either being overwhelming.
This was a very yummy dish. We used angel hair pasta (cooks so much quicker!) and made enough for two people--by the time the water is boiled for the pasta you have everything chopped and ready for the wok and once the broccoli is done, the pasta is, too (the angel hair cooked in about six minutes). Our sundried tomatoes weren't in oil, so I think that would have enhanced the flavor even more, but it was still a very tasty and light dish. It would be good hot or cold.
Mmmmm, this sounds really tasty! I love meals that can be pulled together in the time it takes the pasta to cook.
ReplyDeleteLooks fantastic! Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies!
ReplyDeleteThanks, ladies! I love broccoli, too. I was a little worried when I saw some pieces got a tad brown around the edges from this wok-frying methods, but actually it was SO yummy! I'd never cooked them like that before :-) And, hubby was totally eying the left-overs in the fridge, even though they are for my lunch at work today. Haha! So, I think it was a hit and we'll definitely be making this again soon :-)
ReplyDeleteI don't like sundried tomatoes but with fresh tomatoes or some other substitute, this looks delicious. Poor hubby - next time you'll have to make more so you can both have some leftovers.
ReplyDeleteBroccoli is my favorite! I'd normally throw it in the pasta water toward the end. Making it this way is now something I'd like to try!
This makes me want to buy a wok! It looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteI do love simple food like this. Packed with flavour.
ReplyDelete